Monday, February 12, 2007

THE WAVES OF THE BEACH


There will always be memories, sweet memories of our past. Kind deeds, no matter how small, shown by our loved ones to us, will always be treasured. These loving actions prove to us that life is good, that fulfilment by enjoying life’s little pleasures can be had without even spending money. The affection we feel in our family makes us feel we are important.

I could still remember the fresh air. The calm waves that collide in the seashore. And the fireball that started to hide in the mountains.

I used to see all these things when I was still a child. It was my leisure and fun. My grandfather used to bring me to the seashore to see all these beautiful things.

Whenever 3 o’clock struck, my cousins and I prepared ourselves to go to the beach. We bring some snacks and our towels if we wanted to swim. We did not use any vehicle going to the beach. Along the more than a kilometre road stretch, we walked with grace. We did not mind the distance for we enjoyed ourselves in the things we saw in the beach.

Upon arriving, I used to go to the small lighthouse and looked at the sun, the waves and the people who were walking. After which, we started to look for a place to stay. We did not rent any cottage for we only wanted to stay for a while. y cousins started to run toward the waves and dived.

It was always quiet. It was a beautiful place to think. I always walked through the warm sand and looked for beautiful shells. I used to bring a plastic bag to put my shells going home. After I satisfied myself collecting, then I joined my cousins in the water.

My cousins and I played games in the water. We either played “habol-habulan” or “longest to stay in the water.”

I used to think that the waves were the forces of the boats in the sea or ocean because I always saw boats creating small waves. Even the shells were like a music box to me where I could hear the jovial waves of the sea.

After the fun, we went home. Like what we did going to the beach, we walked going back home. We didn’t even think it was tiring as we raced in being the first one to arrive home.

I always wanted to do all these things again, of course with my strict but loving grandfather. How nice to see myself enjoying the beauty of the sun, the warm sand, and the attractive seashells.

Yes, these are now memories to me, sweet memories that will always remind me about a caring grandfather. The special moments I spent with him during my childhood years make me appreciate that despite the face of a disciplinarian grandpa is a soft heart that truly cares. But as the years passed by, grandpa’s movements became limited. He is now content staying in his home, taking care of his chickens in his small backyard poultry.

On my part, I have always looked forward to moving back the hands of time so we could do again the memories we shared.

No comments: