Wednesday, July 02, 2014

RITE FOR RECONCILIATION OF INDIVIDUAL PENITENTS

After the customary greeting, the penitent makes the Sign of the Cross.

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

The priest invites the penitent to have trust in God, in these or similar words:

May God, who has enlightened every heart, help you to know your sins and trust in his mercy.

The penitent answers: Amen.

Either the priest or the penitent may read or say by heart some words taken from the holy Scripture about the mercy of God and repentance, e.g.:

“Lord, you know all things, you know that I love you” (Jn 21:17).

The penitent confesses his sins. If necessary, the priest helps the penitent to make an integral confession and gives him suitable counsel. The priest proposes an act of penance which the penitent accepts to make satisfaction for sin and to amend his life. The priest then asks the penitent to express his sorrow, which the penitent may do in these or similar words:

My God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart. In choosing to do wrong and failing to do good, I have sinned against you whom I should love above all things. I firmly intend with your help, to do penance, to sin no more, and to avoid whatever leads me to sin. Our Savior Jesus Christ suffered and died for us. In his name, my God, have mercy.

The priest gives him the absolution:

God, the Father of mercies, Through the death and resurrection of his Son has reconciled the world to himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins; through the ministry of the Church, may God give you pardon and peace, and I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, + and of the Holy Spirit.

The penitent answers: Amen.

After the absolution, the priest continues:

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good.

The penitent concludes: His mercy endures forever.

The priest dismisses the penitent who has been reconciled, with this or any of the alternative formulae:

The Lord has freed you from your sins. Go in peace.


The penitent should fulfill the penance imposed.



No comments: